Monday, July 6, 2015

In Loving Memory of Marmaduke

R.I.P

MARMADUKE

2003/2004?--- July 3rd 2015

Wise, Stoic, Nurturing, Devoted, Loyal, Friend



It is with a heavy heart I must share that we lost our beloved
Great Dane Marmaduke on July 3, 2015. 

He was my best friend, my baby, my shadow and now my angel.


He passed away peacefully in one of his favorite shady spots on the front lawn while Kevin and I held him until his last breath. The decision to let Marmaduke go was not one taken lightly! I've been battling with myself for many months trying to figure out what was best and most humane for my friend. It was the single most difficult decision I've ever had to make. In the end I determined I would feel guilty no matter what choice I made. What hurts the most is that his eyes were so alive and bright still but his body was crumbling around him. And I couldn't stand to see him struggle and suffer any longer. The logical side of me knows it was for the best, but having to make that decision broke my heart into pieces.

Marmaduke was our family member and loyal friend for eight years. Summer and Gavin can't remember life without Marmaduke... Also known as Marm, Marmadookie, and most recently Old Marm. I remember the day I met Marm formally nicknamed Tiny, at a party at The Bywaters' house, he was just hanging on the back porch...so tall and so skinny.  He actually wasn't even their dog, he had just wandered up recently...malnourished with no collar or ID and already showing signs of neglect and abandonment. He was so sweet and I fell in love.  After talking with Danny and Alicia I was so excited to find out that they had started feeding and caring for him since he had shown up but they didn't plan to keep him. He must've been meant for me!  A few days later I took the kids to pick him up… Summer was just a-year-old then. The kids were in the backseat of my truck so Marm laid across the front seat with his head in my lap to come home to his forever home for the very first time.
The vet estimated him at between three and four years old, therefore he would've been between 11 and 12 when he passed...which is very old for a Great Dane.

Those that know me and my family know our animal friends are truly family members and loved as such. Marmaduke was the patriarch of our little family, he will be greatly missed and our lives will forever be changed. Thank you for recognizing and being supportive of our grief during this difficult time.

The house seems so empty now without Marm even though it's full of other furry friends. He was such a big presence with a big aura and the sweetest soul. He had nothing but love for every person and animal he met.


 There is now a huge void in our home and our hearts.

Forever in our hearts








Being blessed at The Blessing of the Animals
Loving on Ollie the Pig


 




Buried with Marmaduke

                                       



No comments:

Post a Comment